The Ruins II, Old Wasa
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
NOTE: NEW CALCULATION SINCE AUG 2003 In 1683 a three-subject or ‘trivial’school moved from Nykarleby to this location. To find the coordinates for the cache you need to find out when one of Finland's most famous poets studied in this school. Cache coordiante are: N 63 04.xxx E 21 43.yyy And xxx = year the poet started in this school - 1285, yyy = year he finished this school - 1450
Some historical facts: The history of Mustasaari (Mussor) and also of Vaasa begins in the 14th century, when the seafarers from the coastal region in central Sweden disembarked at the present Old Vaasa, and the wasteland owners from Finland proper came to guard their land. In the middle of the century Saint Mary’s Church was built and in the 1370’s the building of the fortress at Korsholm, Crysseborgh, was undertaken, and it served as administrative centre of the Vaasa province. King Charles IX founded the town of Vaasa on October 2, 1606 around the oldest harbour and trade point in the Mustasaari church village ca. 7 km to the southwest from the present city. King Charles IX gave the town the name of his royal house. Thanks to the sea connections ship building and trade, especially tar trade, was flourishing from the seventeenth century and most of the inhabitants earned their living from it. In 1683 the three-subject or ‘trivial’school moved from Nykarleby to Vaasa and four years later a new schoolhouse was built in Vaasa. Finland’s first library was founded in Vaasa in 1794.
ABGR: GUVF PNPUR UNF ORRA ERUVQQRA VA N FYVTUYL ARJ CYNPR VA NHTHFG 2003.
Gur pnpur vf fyvtuyl ovttre guna n svyz pnavfgre naq vf engure jryy uvqqra fbzr "Y" pz nobir tebhaq yriry
Last Updated: on 9/24/2017 5:18:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time (12:18 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum