The 23 Camels Bridge was named in honour of the 23 Camels that were purchased by an enterprising fellow who thought that these creatures that could pack hundreds of pounds and endure the heat of the sweltering summers of the Cariboo would be a great investment to haul heavy loads to the booming gold fields of the North in the late 1800’s. Pack trains that consisted of mules, horses and oxen frequently made the long journey along the Gold Rush Trail hauling passengers, equipment, and supplies. It was thought that the camels would be able to keep up to the demand for further items for the gold seekers, pioneers and business owners.
The two humped Bactrian camels were imported from Asia and sent to San Francisco were they were sold for $300.00 each. They then made the long journey to the Cariboo.
When they reached Lillooet the camels were occasionally kept in the News office's horse barn. This then was converted to a livery barn. Eventually, George Murray made it into a theatre during World War II and reinforced the hand-hewn logs with bridge timbers from the old Nine Mile railroad bridge. The building was later stuccoed and renamed the Log Cabin Theatre. Now referred to as the Camel Barn is it is still standing alongside Main Street. Many of the beams and boards are still in place, and if you were to enter the building you would still get a sense of what it looked like in the late 1800’s, and early 1900’s. The movie screen and seating from the theater is still in the facility! Be sure to take a stroll down the main street of Lillooet and view all of the other historic sites!
Unfortunately the story of the camels does not end well! The high-strung beasts ate miners clothing, kicked at anything or anyone who came close, frightened other animals with their pungent odour, and their soft feet were easily damaged on the rough terrain. They were eventually abandoned by their owners and left to roam in the wild. Many tales of their demise were told around the Gold Rush communities. Some of these poor beasts died in the harsh Cariboo mountain winter, some were taken in by pioneers along the gold trail and some became a quick meal for hunters and wildlife. The last lone surviving Bactrian camel, “The Lady” as she was called, died around 1896 on a farm in Grande Prairie, BC (now known as Westwold).
Before this "new" bridge was officially opened in 1981, a contest was held to select a name. Local resident, Renee Chipman submitted the winning name: "Bridge of the 23 Camels" in honour of the camels.
Although the were only in the region for a short time the legend of the camels will live on for generations to come!