High up above Carlingford on Barnavave mountain lies the remnants of a small hamlet which contained approx 12-15 houses. In the pre-Famine years, food and other supplies were brought up from Carlingford by horse and cart which meandered along the tracks which now form part of the pathway of the Barnavave Loop. During the Irish Potato Famine of 1845-1852, this community and others similar to it, were particularly hard hit and were literally wiped out. As a result, the buildings soon became dilapitated and the tiny settlement became colloquially known as 'the famine village'. Today, all that's left is a clump of ruins which provide a little shelter for the sheep and goats who continue to roam the area!