Ardgay railway station is a railway station serving the village of Ardgay in the Highland council area of Scotland. The station is on the Far North Line, 57¾ miles (93 km) north of Inverness, near Bonar Bridge. Ardgay station has a passing loop, the next loop to the south being at Tain and to the north, Lairg.
Opened on 1 October 1874 as Bonar Bridge by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway, it became the meeting point of theSutherland Railway and the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway. The station joined the Highland Railway, later becoming part of theLondon, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923; it then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways onnationalisation in 1948. It was renamed Ardgay on 2 May 1977.
When sectorisation was introduced by British Rail in the 1980s, the station was served by ScotRail until the privatisation of British Rail.
Today Ardgay is the termination point for some commuter services from Inverness. The southbound platform is twice the length of the northbound platform.
Beside the road at Ardgay is a large lump of white quartzite. A plaque beneath it explains that it is the clach eiteag, and that in ‘former times’ the market was held wherever the stone was. Having the market was a great boost to a village so legend has it that the stone was sometimes secretly moved! By the mid-eighteenth century the three day longfeill eiteachan was held each November in Kincardine parish on the south side of the Kyle of Sutherland.