Please bring a pen
Cardiff Queen Street railway station (Welsh: Caerdydd Heol y Frenhines) is the second busiest railway station in Wales, located near Queen Street in Cardiff. It is one of 20 stations in the city and two in the city centre, the other being Cardiff Central. The station is staffed at most times, with ticket purchase facilities, a newsagent in the forecourt and a café.
In 2014, a reconstruction of the station was completed in order to reduce bottlenecks, with two extra platforms being put in (a previously existing platform, opposite platform 4, and a new bay platform next to platform 2 for the line to Cardiff Bay).
A station was built on this site in 1840 by the Taff Vale Railway, whose headquarters were also located here. It was rebuilt and given its present name in 1887. Other major re-buildings took place in 1907 and by British Rail in 1973. In 2005, the station was fitted with new ticket gates, operational when the station is manned, which allow easier access in both directions. In 2006 plasma TV screens replaced the old information display monitors.
Queen Street is the main hub of the Valley Lines network - a railway system serving Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend and the South Wales Valleys - and has the solitary connection to Cardiff Bay. The station is located at the eastern end of the city centre, near the Capitol Centre as well as St David's Centre, and sees heavy volumes of commuter rail traffic during the rush hour.