Skip to content

Saint Louis Mission Traditional Cache

Hidden : 2/5/2016
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Kamloops has a rich Francophone past. Here's a piece of history. The church described in the text - the same name as the cathedral - no longer exists, as well as the college Saint Louis, for they both have been destroyed by fire. But their location was very close to the current Sacred Heart Cathedral that you can see in the city.

English below

 

Le premier corps religieux entra dans la vallée quand le Père Demers de l'Église catholique romaine y vint lors de sa première visite en 1842. Après cette visite, il revint chaque année, et ses visites étaient si fructueuses qu'il érigea une petite église sur ces terres appelée Mission Flats en 1845. Il nomma son église Mission St. Louis. Après Père Demers vinrent d'autres prêtres, et parmi eux on retrouve Père Chirouse, Père Pandosy, père Durieu et d’autres.

Ces hommes sont tous venus de l’Okanagan Mission (Kelowna) et sont venus visiter l’installation au moins une fois par an et plus tard cinq à six fois par an. Comme Kamloops commençait à grandir, la nécessité d'un prêtre résident devint évidente et un district séparé fut organisé en 1878. Un presbytère fut construit à proximité de la vieille église et St Louis Mission devint une résidence régulière des Pères Oblats.

Le premier à y résider fut le Père Grandidier accompagné du Père Martin et du Frère Henry Davies comme assistant. Plus tard, nous retrouvons les noms de père Le Jacque, Peytavin, Coccola et Le Jeune. La vieille église de Saint-Louis Mission, faite en rondins, brûla en 1879. Jusqu'en septembre 1880, la messe était dite dans la résidence des prêtres, mais l’endroit était trop petit pour accueillir la congrégation grandissante, alors on utilisa la chapelle du Collège Saint-Louis.

En 1887, l’évêque D'Herbomez suggéra que la nouvelle église soit construite dans la ville. Une parcelle de terrain fut achetée et une église en bois fut construite sur la colline surplombant la ville. Cette parcelle représentait la moitié est du bloc 100 entre la rue Battle et la rue Nicola. L'évêque de Montréal fit don plus tard de 500 $ à la congrégation sous condition que l'église soit nommée en l'honneur du « Sacré Cœur ». Les décorations et les réceptacles sacrés furent achetés par abonnement.


The first religious body entered the valley when Father Demers of the Roman Catholic Church came here on his first visit in 1842. After this visit he returned each year and so fruitful were his visits that he erected a small church on the flats known as Mission Flats in 1845. He called his church St. Louis Mission. Following Father Demers came other priests among them Father Chirouse, Father Pandosy, Father Durieu and others.

These men all travelled from Okanagan Mission (Kelowna) and visited the settlement at least once a year and in later years five and six times a year. As Kamloops grew slowly into a settlement the need for a resident priest was evident and a separate district was organized in 1878.

A rectory was built close to the old church and St Louis Mission became a regular residence of the Oblate Fathers.The first to reside there were Father Grandidier with Father Martin as companion and Brother Henry Davies as assistant. Later we find the names of Father Le Jacque, Peytavin, Coccola and Le Jeune. The old log church of St Louis Mission burned in 1879. Until September 1880 mass was said in the priests’ residence but this was too small to accommodate the growing congregation so the chapel of Saint Louis College was used.

In 1887 Bishop D'Herbomez suggested that the new church should be built in town. A block of land was bought and a wooden church built on the hill overlooking the town. This land was the east half of the 100 block between Battle and Nicola Streets. The Bishop of Montreal later donated $500 to the congregation on condition that the church be named in honor of “The Sacred Heart". The decorations and sacred vessels were purchased by subscription.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)