Photo to follow
The Team Valley line of the North Eastern Railway, which connected Newton Hall Junction near Durham with Gateshead, was authorised in 1848 but not opened until 2 March 1868 (the powers having been renewed in 1862). At first only freight trains used the route, but passenger services began on 1 December 1868, and the station at Chester-le-Street opened the same day.
In the early 1980's the station lost it's staff and it became an unmanned station until 1999 when a businessman saw the potential of the station and re-opened it. The station is now served by big operators which can be seen on their site, and sees around 250 commuters a day catching trains into Newcastle or Durham.
Please use extreme stealth when retrieving and replacing the cache