Hanover 's Drinking Water
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Devastating fires in 1880 and 1890 prompted the town to find a reliable water supply for fire‐fighting, and it was not until a typhoid epidemic in Ithaca NY, that the idea of a safe drinking water supply became important. Dartmouth College and the village precinct of Hanover formed the Hanover Water Works Company in 1892. The next year, the company bought 50 acres along Camp Brook and built the Fletcher Reservoir. By 1912, the Water Co. had acquired most of upper Camp Brook watershed, including ten farms. All structures were soon removed and in 1924 the second reservoir (the Parker Reservoir) was built. Together, the two contain 425 million gallons. In 2010, the College and Town of Hanover formed the Trescott Company, each holding a 50% share. The Hanover Water Works Company retains the land within 250’ of the reservoirs, which remains closed to the public. Dogs must be leashed at all times; please pick up after your pet. Carry in/carry out. Yield to forestry vehicles.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum