Skip to content

Couvent des Dominicains Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Geocaching HQ Admin: Archived due to private property complaint

More
Hidden : 2/28/2016
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Le couvent Saint-Jacques a été crée rue des tanneries en 1969. Il a repris le nom de l'ancien couvent des Jacobins rue Saint-Jacques, dissout en 1790 puis détruit. C'est l'une des 2 maisons parisiennes des frères dominicains, communauté religieuse fondée à Paris en 1217.
Les dominicains sont aussi appelé "l'ordre des prêcheurs". La mission qu'ils se sont donné sont la contemplation et l'apostolat (la prédication). Ce couvent est plus orienté vers l'étude, les média et l'université, et on trouve ici outre une église, une bibliothèque (250000 ouvrages), un centre d'études du fait religieux et une maison d'édition religieuse (le Cerf).
Les frères sont une soixantaine pour un âge moyen de 60 ans, c'est la plus grosse communauté de la province de France (~350 frères couvrant les 3/4 Nord du pays).

La rue, anciennement "rue des Anglaises" a une histoire plus ancienne, celle des bénédictines anglaises qui - persécutées au Royaume-Uni car catholiques - vinrent fonder un couvent ici en 1664. L'affaire se compliqua à la révolution… vous pourrez lire cela un peu plus loin dans la rue au numéro 28 l'on voit les vestiges du couvent.

[En] The Saint-Jacques convent was created "Rue des Tanneries" in 1969. He took the name of the former Convent of the Jacobins rue Saint-Jacques, dissolved in 1790 and then destroyed. It is one of two Parisian houses of Dominican friars, a religious community founded in Paris in 1217.
The Dominicans are also called the "Order of Preachers". Their missions are contemplation and apostolate (preaching). This convent is more oriented to the study, the media and the university, and we find here besides a church, a library (250,000 items), a center for the study of the religious fact and a religious publishing house (Le Cerf).
The brothers are sixty with an average age of 60 years. It is the largest community in the province of France (~ 350 brothers covering 3/4 north of the country).
The street, formerly "Englishwomen street" has a longer history, that of the English Benedictine who - persecuted in UK as Catholics - came here to found a convent in 1664. The case became complicated in the Revolution times... you can read this story a little further down the street at number 28 where we see the remains of the convent.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[fr] Fbhf yr P qr PGW PWP [en] Haqre gur P bs PGW PWP

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)