Lacey’s Lane
This cache is to commemorate Timothy Lacey, land owner on whose property the first school in The Oaks was built.
Born in 1806 Timothy Lacey had inherited land from his father at Camden Park, Lower Burragorang and The Oaks.
In the 1860’s Lacey together with other residents of The Oaks applied for a local school to be opened. The school was opened around 1863, just after he purchased Lt 1 of the Vanderville Estate from the original owner Emmeline Ann Wild. It was described as a wooden building with 4 rooms and was on the lower corner of what is now Timothy Lacey Lane and William Street. The area around which “Oaks” village common was established with a roadbridge across the Werriberri Creek to Burragorang Valley.
The school itself eventually closed and another opened nearby in the 1880’s.
Timothy Lacey died in 1887 and is buried with his wife in the adjoining Catholic Cemetery.
After his death the property was sold, however the new owner never took up residence and was eventually reclaimed by Wollondilly Shire Council for unpaid land taxes. James Noakes lived in the house from the early 1900’s and paid the council rates. In 1935 he registered the property having obtained declarations from various local citizens that the owners name was unknown. The property was recorded as being “2 roods 2 and a quarter perches” (around half an acre)
He lived there with his wife Ada until his death in 1950.
Laceys Lane at that point was only a dirt track connecting Silverdale Road with William Street.
The property was demolished around 1970 to make way for the current subdivision, the road was tarred and renamed Timothy Lacey Lane
The cache is a small container near the Catholic Cemetery. Twist to unscrew. Pencil required.