This cache also qualifies for the Disappearing RR Blues bonus cache. This series highlights railways of NW Oregon
About McMinnville Train Station
Welcome to McMinnville. Downtown McMinnville orients itself to the Railroad station located across the street. The railroad first came to McMinnville in 1880. The fine brick building dates to 1914 when the Southern Pacific converted the steam rail line to electric interurban service. You would board a clean electric interurban train from McMinnville to head to Portland via Newberg, Sherwood & Lake Oswego, or via Carlton, Forest Grove and Beaverton heading north. Heading south electric trains went to Amity, Independence and ending in Corvallis. Sadly electric train service ended in 1929 due to automobile competition.
Although the depot no longer host passengers, it is still used as offices for the Portland & Western Railroad. Freight trains still head south from here to Corvallis.The line to Carlton & Forest Grove was ripped up sometime in the 1980's. There has been talk to restoring the line for wine train service as well as freight. The line towards Lake Oswego is no longer possible after the trestle fire in Sherwood in 2015. The RR really has not run trains north of Newberg much anyway becuase of the expense of running trains up and over Rex Hill between Newberg and Sherwood. So it is unclear if the trestle in Sherwood will be re-built. But maybe the railroads interest of rebuilding the line to Forest Grove might gather steam.
This cache does qualify for the Disappearing-Reappearing RR Blues Bonus Cache, GC2417R.