A series of 12 caches taking in Hamstall Church, the remains of Hamstall Hall and the view from the summit of Hunger Hill. The route, which is approximately 2.5 miles, can be overgrown in places in summer. Two of the landowners are particular about sticking to the paths, so please read the route details between #2 and #3 and also from #8 to #9 and back to #10. These can be found in the descriptions of the affected caches.
From #4 you get a splendid view of the remnants of Hamstall Hall with St Michael's Church behind.
The Watchtower now looks rather decrepit, but it was once a status symbol of the first order. Its function was never military. It was a place from which the lord of the manor could survey his estate and the lands beyond. It is said that four counties can be seen from the top.
Built in the late 15th or early 16th century, the tower dates from the time of the Cotton family and is probably the oldest visible part of the manor to survive. Under the Fitzherberts and the Leighs the tower was linked to the rest of the Hall by a luxurious suite of rooms. Eventually these were reserved for the Leigh family when they were in residence. When this wing was demolished the tower was once again left in splendid isolation as a folly.
The Gatehouses were built in the Jacobean period, probably around 1620, at a time when the Hall was rebuilt.