Moliagul would barely rate a mention in history were it not for an event which unfolded on February 5, 1869. On that day, Cornish miner John Deason, who had been prospecting hereabouts for seven years, was working in Bulldog Gully, near Moliagul. While searching about the roots of a tree he discovered, 3 cm below the surface, a gold nugget. He concealed his find until dark. Then, with his partner, Richard Oates, he dug it out and snuck it home in a wagon. The two then held a party, during which they revealed their find to the assembled guests. The 66-kg 'Welcome Stranger', then the world's largest-known gold nugget, was taken to Dunolly where it had to be broken on an anvil (located in the Goldfields Historical and Arts Museum) before it could fit on the bank's scales. It was worth 10 000 pounds at the time ($3-4 million in today's money). Deason returned to Moliagul and his descendants are still in the area. After the nugget was found a larger, more permanent school was required. The new school was built of locally made red brick, and was opened in 1872. The first head teacher was Thomas Flynn, father of the “Flying Doctor”, the Reverend John Flynn. The school closed in 1970.
The cache you are looking for is a 2ltr clip lock container, with log book, pen and room for larger stash or swaps. Happy hunting.