The Rainbow Forest Museum (RFM) and Giant Logs trail were built in the early 1930s. RFM was the original park headquarters until 1962. The Giant Logs Trail winds through a deposit of petrified logs, the highlight of which is the giant log on top of the hill. The wife of the first park superintendent wrote that the large log at the top of the trail was to Petrified Forest as the Old Faithful geyser is to Yellowstone, an icon. Since that time the large petrified log has been called "Old Faithful". Many tourists have been photographed with "Old Faithful" including the famous physicist Albert Einstein and his wife on March 1, 1931. Exposed millenia ago, this solid quartz log will still be present for centuries as the area around it erodes away.
Plentiful parking is available very close to the cache and the cache location is accessible.
This cache is within the boundaries of Petrified Forest National Park and is available only during park operating hours. The park entrance fee is required to access the cache area.