Skip to content

Church Micro #8764 Kemble Multi-Cache

Hidden : 4/14/2016
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This church micro brings you to the lovely All Saints church in Kemble. If the church is open, why not take the time to visit inside, it's packed full of history and there's a handy information guide to explain everything.

In the year 682 Cedwalla, King of Wessex, gave a grant of land in Kemble to Aldhelm, the Abbot of Malmesbury. It is certain that a church was built about that date. Present records show that a stone building was erected consisting of a nave, south aisle, chancel and western tower between 1100 and 1250. The south porch was built by William de Collerne, Abbot of Malmesbury, in 1280. The tower dates back to about 1250, thespire to about 1480 and the font to 1350. In 1823 the church and spire were severely damaged by lightning during a storm on the 29th December and was not in use for a long time. A large part of the church was rebuilt in 1872-73 and the spire restored in 1964.

The church is in the early English style except for the south chapel. The north aisle was a new addition; otherwise the original stone was used. On the south east buttresses are four 13th century coffin lids with crosses, used to patch the tower. The early English south porch with an image niche above the doorway of keeled roll moulding is worthy of notice.





The south chapel, which is reputed to have been built from the stone of a church at Ewen, has a fine moulded trefoil sedila and piscine, a tomb recess of 1320, and three perpendicular windows. The organ and ease, dated 1788, is almost unique. Only two of its kind were ever built. It was given in memory of the late SJ.Phillips, and is in this chapel, which has been furnished with an altar and chairs by Mr W.S.Boycott in memory of members of his family.

The pulpit was installed at the 1872 restoration, and the very handsome lectern about 1900.

There is an elaborate triple lancet window and a rose window which some say came from Salisbury Cathedral. The very open chancel with lancet windows contains a Priest stall given in memory of a past Vicar, the wall at the back of the alter is tiled with inscriptions of the Apostles' Creed, The Lord’s Prayer andthe Ten Commandments.

The plain octagonal font on a modern base is 14th century. Note the Hanoverian Coat-of-Arms over the doorway.

The monuments of an effigy of a knight,1290, in Purbeck marble, and of Elizabeth Coxe, 1783, Ann Coxe,1790, and Charles Coxe,1808, are fine examples of the period.

The Church yard was closed at the end of the last century and contains some old vaults. The great Yew tree is generally considered to date from Anglo Saxon times: a more recent legend says that Roundheads tied their horses to it in the Civil War. It contains a new tree growing in the trunk of the old one, and experts have given assurance that the tree will live for many years.

THere is a leaflet int he church also all about the Millennium windows installed in 2000.



To find this cache find the following information in the porch:Edith Sarah Stock April 19AB and Kay Stock April 19C0
N51º40.(A/2)B(B+1)
W002º 01.B(C/2)(B+1)



****************** ********************
For full information on how you can expand the Church Micro series by sadexploration please read the Place your own Church Micro page before you contact him at churchmicro.co.uk

See also the Church Micro Statistics and Home pages for further information about the series.
****************** *******************

color="blue">
Check out the Geocaching Association of Great Britain offering advice and support for Geocachers in the UK!

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Tebhaq yriry

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)