HIGHLAND SCHOOL
(District #68)
Over 100 years ago, Highland School (District #68) was the hub of the Highland-Pingston Creek area. Located in the highlands northwest of Colville, the area is reached by several roads (Highland Loop, Pingston Creek, Vanasse Road to name a few). School district #68 was created in 1894, and the preliminary terms were held in a rented building. The men of the community organized a "Building Bee," and in 1898 the schoolhouse that still stands was ready for occupancy. The William Oechs family operated the Bell View Farm in the vicinity, which produced fruit for many years. However, the profit realized by those who had charge of the orchard was probably inadequate, for the property changed hands frequently. So when the name of the school was chosen, Oechs' Hill was suggested. But Highland was favored by the majority.
It served as a Kindergarten - 8th grade school and a community meeting place until its closure in 1958. The students were divided into the Colville and Kettle Falls school districts, and all records were lost. At the time of its closure, the small community was not able to raise sufficient funds to purchase the building so it could remain a community center. A neighbor, Mr Kennedy, was able to purchase the 23' x 36' building for his own personal use. It was pulled on skid logs off school property onto his neighboring property, and deposited in his front yard. His desire for it to become a farm building never materialized as it was left on its rotting logs with a leaky roof for well over thirty years.
A group of students who attended the Highland school.

When Ron and Sue Richardson bought the Kennedy property, once again the schoolhouse came to life. It was cleaned and leveled, and received a new metal roof. Craft sales and meetings started happening until it became apparent that to be safe the building needed a foundation and, hopefully, a new location. In 1994, a former Highland student who was employed by Boise Cascade requested that the company help with the move. (Previously another company had been contracted for the move, but they refused to go through with it due to the building's shape.) The Richardson's neighbor, Doll Linton, got the ball rolling and was instrumental in arranging all the details of the move. The Richardson's were thrilled to have Boise Cascade bring their equipment and relocate the school as a community service project. It was pulled on new skid logs to its current location, which is now visible off Pingston Creek Road.
Once again, Highland school began to resume its life as a community center and meeting place. It has received a good foundation, front porch and many hours of repair. Craft sales again got underway along with weddings, countless meetings, community potlucks, and church gatherings.
Some furniture in the original style still remains. There are also two replacement prints on the walls of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington that are the same as what was once there. But even more impressive is that it **STILL** has the **ORIGINAL** photograph of Dwight D Eisenhower, who was President at the time, hanging on the wall.