The Roman Catholic Complex comprising the Church of St Aloysius, Catholic presbytery, the adjacent priests house and the Catholic School. The church of St Aloysius was built in 1865 on land donated by Emmaline Wild, wife of early settler John Wild.
The handsome presbytery was built in 1906 for the Sisters of St Josephs. Designed by Camden architect G F Furner and erected by local builders J Devitt and A Roberts. It was used as a boarding school for girls until 1964.
The history of the Roman Catholic School is somewhat sketchy as few records still survive. A Catholic School house did exist in 1864. In 1902 Sister Winifred of The Order of St Josephs took charge of The Oaks Convent School with 24 pupils. A new school building was opened in 1913 by Monsignor Obrien in the presence of Sister Winifred.
A succession of 11 sisters took charge after Sister Winifred. The last of which, Sister Rhoda had the unenviable task of closing the convent and school on 1st January 1965.
The history of the Anglican Church begins with St Matthews Church in Old Oaks Road built in 1838. In those early days The Oaks was a part of the parish of Narellan with the reverend Thomas Hassell as the incumbent at Cobbitty.
The foundation stone for St Luke’s in Merlin Street was laid on 24 May 1892, on land donated by Mrs E Wild It is unknown when the first service was held in the weatherboard structure however the first baptism was recorded on June 12 1892. St Luke’s is about double the size of St Matthews.
The building has undergone a number of internal and external changes since 1892. In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s the church hall was used as an additional classroom for The Oaks Primary School in John Street, whilst a 3rd building was erected on those premises.
A small magnetic cache, pencil required, stealth maybe required on Sundays. Please seal plastic log holder