Henley-on-Thames station was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1857. It is on the Henley-on-Thames branch line (now known appropriately as the Regatta Line) that links the towns of Henley and Twyford, with intermediate stops at Wargrave and Shiplake.
The station originally had three platforms, mainly to serve the crowds visiting the Henley Regatta each July.
The original train shed and station building, situated to the north of the present station, were removed in 1975 when the site was sold for development. The platforms were reduced to two in 1969 and finally to just one in 1986. The present terminal building was erected in 1985 to serve the one remaining platform.
The large goods yard was closed in 1964 to make way for a car park (£1.20 for three hours). There was also a goods shed and signal box (closed 1972), an engine shed (closed 1958) and a turntable.
The cache location is close to the site of the original turn-table
Congratulations to JJT for a very swift FTF. Well done folks!