Opened in 1880, it was originally known as the "People's Park". It was originally landscaped and had an ornamental lake, created by damming the Teville Stream which runs through the area, and a rustic wooden bridge over the lake. However, most of the land was grassed and carnivals and other events used to be held here. The lake was filled in around 1930 and, during the Second World War was used as alloments for growing food. Today, the park has reduced in size due to the encroachment of Worthing Hospital. The park is used for football, basketball and tennis. There is also a skate park and a children's play area.