The wee cache is next to the Craigellachie Distillery.
The Craigellachie Distillery was built here in Banffshire at the very heart of Speyside, between Rothes and Dufftown. Here are green pastures and heather-field and the distillery is in close proximity to the blissful confluence of rivers Spey and Fiddich. From the whisky distillery, perched high on the rock of Craigellachie, one can gaze over the village and namesake, and the quaint John Telford-designed bridge which crosses the river Spey. The water is drawn from a spring on Conval Hill and feeds the 3.6 million litre annual capacity of Craigellachie distillery.
The distillery was built in 1891 by Craigellachie Distillery Co. Limited, a group of blenders and merchants led by Alexander Edward. Two years later, it was incorporated as a limited company and in 1896 it was reconstructed as Craigellachie-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd. Co-founded by Alexander Edward, of Aultmore fame, and Peter Mackie, of the blending company White Horse, the buildings were designed by the reputable Speyside architect, Charles Doig.
During the years that followed, ownership passed to Peter Mackie (in 1916), the Distillery Company Limited (in 1927) and SMD (in 1930). The transfer to SMD marked the beginning of a period of stability for Craigellachie; apartfrom a reconstruction in 1964-65 during which the number of pot stills was doubled, relatively little happened at the distillery. In 1998, it was sold to it's present owner.
The casks and subsequent maturations are based off-site and the new make spirit is transported from Craigellachie the owners warehousing facilities near Glasgow.
The cache is not at the distillery grounds! You will find a tiny guy at the other side of the road. Please handle with care - pictures are appreciated!