This cache is located at the gate of the Gilliand Cemetery.
The earliest burial in the burying ground was in 1810, however it did not become a separate parcel from the Gilliland Farm until January 29, 1848 when Henry P. Gilliland (Grandson of the original settler and son of the second William who created the farm.) and his wife Abigail Thurber Gilliland deeded it to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Jackson.
Gilliland Cemetery was first incorporated as a cemetery November 4, 1876. Several years after the church at Port Jackson went out of existence it was incorporated again under a new organization on October 21, 1958. It is the final resting place for members of the area community with names such as Lyon, Beardsley, Day, Herewith, Weatherwax, Gilliland, Grant, and a former commander of Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Colonel Robert Moll, to name a few.
As always, be respectful of the area.