SideTracked - Loughborough
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is a multi - you need to visit the station phonebox in order to solve it - look for something red
there is a phone number - use the following to obtain the co-ords - 01509 ABCDEF
N52. (D+B) C. (C+B) B (F+A)
W001 (A-B) (C-F) . (D+E+B) B (C+D)
The original station (opened in 1840 by the Midland Counties Railway, which was shortly to join the North Midland Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway to form the Midland Railway) was sited a little further south.
The present station was built in 1872. The ironwork was constructed by Mr. Richards of Leicester, and the stone portion by Mr. Cox of Leicester. The track was quadrupled and has retained much of its characteristically Midland Railway architecture, apart from the fact that its canopies have been cut back. The station is grade II listed 
It became known as "Loughborough Midland" when Loughborough had three stations; Loughborough Derby Road (opened 1883 on the Charnwood Forest Railway, owned by London and North Western Railway from 1923 and closed to passengers in 1931) and Loughborough Central (Great Central Railway now used by the Great Central Railway (preserved)).
In future, there is to be a Loughborough Midland High-Level in which passengers could interchange with both network rail and the heritage GCR as the line is currently undergoing a heritage regeneration project.