About Warminster and the Station
For those that don't know, Warminster is a lovely little town on the edge of Salisbury Plain. The town's name has evolved over time, known as Worgemynstre in approximately 912 and it was referred to in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Guerminstre. the name is thought to derive from the River Were, a tributary of River Wylye which runs through the town, and from an Anglo-Saxon minster or monastery, which existed in the area of St Denys's Church.
The river's name, "Were" may derive from the Old English "worian" to wander
Now when visiting, do wander out to the railway station, which is a little way out of town itself.
The station was opened, by the Great Western Railway, on 9 September 1851, as the terminus of its branch from Westbury on its Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth route.
The branch was extended to Salisbury on 30 June 1856. The station was originally provided with a train shed covering the tracks and platforms, but this was removed around 1930 when the current canopies were erected in its place.
The original wooden buildings were retained and are still in use today, making this one of the more distinct small stations on this line.
About the Cache
The cache is a small magnetic container capable of holding small swaps, geocoins and travel bugs. There is a quid awaiting the first lucky finder.