This is the site of the old Madeley Railway station. The line is now disused and overgrown. The station building still stands but is in disrepair.
History of the Line and Station
The Stoke to Market Drayton Line was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) in November 1870. Madeley station was opened in the same year, howerver after a few months it was renamed Madeley Manor after the nearby (now derelict) manor house. By August 1871, the name had been changed yet again to Madeley Road. Madeley Road station closed in 1931.
Although initially the Market Drayton branch line was a double track, it was converted to single track in 1934. Passenger services were withdrawn on May 6th 1956 and on the Silverdale to Stoke on Trent section on 2nd March 1964. It was finally closed to goods trains on the 9th January 1967, although coal trains still ran from Silverdale colliery to Madeley Road and onto the former LNWR line. With the closure of Silverdale colliery in 1998, all traffic on this line ceased. The line through the station remained in use until the closure of Silverdale Colliery in 1998.