The Rowan District was first settled in 1885 and the School Opened in 1892 on this corner Block. The Original Stone piles were incorporated into this Commemorative area.
Rowan was named after Frederic Rowan, formerly of the 43rd Regiment, who joined the armed constabulary and was severely wounded during the attack on Te Ngutu-o-te-manu in 1868. His wife, Ellis Rowan, became one of Australia’s most celebrated flower painters after the couple later settled there.
A nice park and grab with good views of the Mountain