About Alverstone Station
Alverstone railway station, was an intermediate station situated on the edge of Alverstone garden village on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England.
The original timber platform at Alverstone was replaced by one built with earth and clinker with timber facing. A single line siding served a small goods yard on the north side of the station.
Served by the line from Newport to Sandown the station was incorporated by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway in 1868 opened in 1875. Absorbed by the Isle of Wight Central Railway, it became part of the Southern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. Passing on to the Southern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, it was then closed 81 years after opening by the British Transport Commission.
Line opened 1.2.1875 but Alverstone Station probably opened after that date first appearing in a public timetable June 1876
During a Second World War blackout a train ran through Alverstone and a railwayman had to escort the passengers back to there from Newchurch.