About Newchurch Station
Newchurch railway station, was an intermediate station situated on the edge of Newchurch village on the line from Newport to Sandown incorporated by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway in 1868, opened in 1875 and closed 81 years later. Despite its rural location a “respectable” number of families alighted at the simple station, "little more than a wooden hut”. The nearest location to the site is a bungalow, Newchurch Crossing.
The original station was of timber construction, both platform and buildings. The station had a single line siding serving a small goods yard on the north side of the line, adjacent to the platform. The station handled vegetables, flowers and later sugar beet traffic from growers in the Arreton Valley but after the 1930's this declined in favour of a few wagons of domestic coal or horticultural coke.
Demolished - the only evidence of the station is a short section of the platform ramp which has been incorporated into a garden rockery but not in its original position