The Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway was a company authorised by Act of Parliament in 1845. It was opened in stages between 1852 and 1853 with connections to the Great Western Railway (GWR) at both ends. It was known at the time, apparently with good reason, as the Old Worse and Worse.
In 1860 the OWW amalgamated with the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford and the Worcester & Hereford to form the West Midland Railway. This in turn was absorbed into the GWR in 1863.
The cache is near the site of Chipping Campden Station which was opened, along with the section of the OWW between Evesham and Wolvercot Junction (north of Oxford) on June 4th 1853 and closed on January 3rd, 1966. It was originally named Mickleton after a village to the north of the line which is even more remote from the station as the town of Chipping Campden is to the south. It was later renamed Campden and in February 1952 became Chipping Campden. None of the renamings helped the station get any closer to the communities it served
The cache is a magnetised, screw-top tube. The location near to the level crossing and is fairly busy with car and pedestrian traffic from the research facilities and industrial premises which have taken over the old station yard. Searching for the cache while cars are waiting for the barriers to lift will be a challenge and our previous attempt at a cache here was muggled within two days. You might be better just doing a bit of trainspotting! Parking is available off-road to the south of the level crossing, opposite the cache.
*****Congratulations to the sundowner, FTF*****