Dullingham is a small rail station situated about 1 mile NW of the present village of Dullingham (Cambridgeshire). It is also the nearest railway station to Haverhill (Suffolk) about 9 miles away. There is a free car park and a small shelter on the platform by the signal box. Tickets are sold by the conductor on the train.
Dullingham Station was originally opened by the Newmarket & Chesterford Railway Company on 4 April 1848, and the current route to/from Cambridge was completed in 1851 while the line east to Chippenham Junction (and on to Bury St Edmunds) opened in 1854. Over the years trains through here have been run by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) and the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).
Dullingham is unusual in this area as it is on a remote passing loop on an otherwise single track between Cambridge and Chippenham Junction. The map below shows the relationship of it to nearby stations in 1950 (many now gone).
There is a manned signal box and manually operated crossing gates which can create a build-up of traffic here when a train is coming through, so be stealthy!
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk