Hayling Island branch line
Known as the Hayling Billy, the branch line here was a railway that connected Havant with Hayling Island for nearly a century. There were also two intermediate stations at Langston (sic) and North Hayling. The goods line opened on 19 January 1865 and passengers followed suit on 16 July 1867. The line itself was busy during the summer months as people from the South Coast would travel down to the popular beach on Hayling Island; the coaches would often be overflowing during the summer but would be virtually empty during the winter. The service was taken over by the Southern Railway in 1923 and by British Railways in 1948. Over the winter of 1962 it was decided to close the line. The timber swing bridge which crossed Langstone Harbour needed to be replaced and despite the fact that the line was operating at a small profit at the time, British Railways took the view that the work would be too expensive. In spite of widespread protests, the final train ran on the evening of 2 November 1963. Nowadays, the area where the tracks once stood is a local nature reserve and combined footpath, bridleway and cycleway.
Go to the rectangular blue and white sign which faces southeast at the published co-ordinates. In order to read it, you have to be facing northwest.
- How many times is Route 2 identified with a red rectangle? = A
- B = C-A
- How many letters in the word ending in the letter 'S' = C
- How many letters in the word ending in the letter 'L'? = D
- How many words begin with the letter 'P'? = E
- How many bicycles are pictured on the sign? = F
The cache can be found at N 50° 51.ABC W 000° 58.DEF
For extra help, there is a spoiler photo on this geochecker.