Village Signs is a series of caches based on the ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up.
Thwaite is a rural village in Suffolk England.
Thwaite is based on and around the A140, midway between Ipswich and the city of Norwich, in Norfolk. It forms part of Mid Suffolk district.
The village consists of a Public House, a redundant church, a recently restored 'school room' (used for small gatherings and parish meetings), and a post box. Homes include several thatched cottages interspersed with a number of individual houses, seemingly built during each decade right up to the early 2000s. The community includes a number of farms and maintains close links with neighbouring village of Stoke Ash, which has a post office, village hall and primary school.
In 1910, Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes dismantled a large timber framed house, formerly the Queens Head, located next to what is now the A140. He transported it in 688 crates from Tilbury docks to the USA, where it was reconstructed using the timbers of a wrecked English ship, on a hill overlooking Long Island Sound near Greenwich, Connecticut. It was renamed 'High Low House' - one of its former names whilst standing in Thwaite.
The churchyard contains interesting headstones, not least the cast iron headstone of Orlando Whistlecraft - weather prophet and poet.
If anybody would like to expand the series please contact Smokeypugs here