Heritage Senior Center
This center, located at 200 S. Jefferson St., offers a wide variety of programming and activities for Irving residents age 50 and older. Built in 2003 the 40,000 sq. foot facility is state-of-the-art with fitness center, ballroom, library, billiards, craft room, and the nearby Heritage Aquatic Center.
Years ago this was the original campus site of Irving ISD bounded on the south side by Second Street with Jefferson Street on the west side and Delaware Street on the east side. The south side of the campus extended to Fourth Street. Mr. Lee Britain, son of Henry Britain, donated the land for this site of the original school building. Built in 1913, the three-story, red-brick building cost $15,000. Because the building didn't have water, students had to walk across Second St. to the old water tower for a drink of water. A few years later, water fountains were installed on the first floor. The third floor served as an auditorium. At that time the building was the tallest in town. “Old Red” served as the high school until 1929 when a one-story white brick building was erected just west of it. Old Red served as the school for various grade levels over the years. By the late 1950s, the building was outdated and no longer used for classroom instruction. It was demolished in 1959.
This should be a fairly easy Park and Grab. Small container with room for small trackables or swag.
This cache is part of Celebrating Irving: The City And The Man, April 2017