In the early 1800s Norfolk was one of the first places in the area to require that the dead be buried in a cemetery. The yard at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was filling quickly, and no church or company stepped up to establish a new cemetery. The City had to step in, and purchased Cedar Grove Cemetery on the outskirts of town in 1825. The Cemetery filled quickly and in 1852, the City built a bridge over Smith Creek to connect it to the new Elmwood Cemetery. In 1873 the adjacent Potters Field was declared a cemetery, now known as West Point, for the City’s African-American population. These first three cemeteries make up Norfolk Historic Triangle. The turn of the 20th Century saw a growing Norfolk. Forest Lawn was purchased in 1906, and Magnolia, which had already been established, was added after the City annexed Berkley. Calvary Cemetery was purchased from a private company in the late 1910s. It was the only burial option for African-Americans until the 1970s. Riverside Memorial Park was the last cemetery to be purchased in 1971.
How was Elmwood connected to Cedar Grove when it was first built?
a) By a bridge that crossed Smith Creek N 36 51.614 W 076 17.895
b) Duh, you just crossed Princess Anne Rd. N 36 51.552 W 076 17.897