Skip to Content

<

Hamina Bastioni

A cache by Sharkey76 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 04/05/2017
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Kätkö esittelee Keskusbastionin joka on osa Haminan linnoituksen kokonaisuutta. Itse linnoitukseen ja sen eri osiin pääset tutustumaan Haminan Linnoitus & Vallikävely (GC5WWXM)Wherigon johdattamana.
-----

The cache presents the Central Bastion which is part of the Hamina Fortress. For English description, scroll down

Hamina Bastioni on peräisin 1700 -luvulta

Haminan kaupungin paikalla oli Vehkalahden markkinapaikka, joka oli saanut kaupunkioikeudet vuonna 1653 nimellä Vehkalahden Uusikaupunki. Kaupunki tuhoutui Suuressa Pohjan Sodassa vuonna 1712. Linnoituksen rakennustyöt aloitti Uudenkaupungin rauhan jälkeen 1720-luvun alussa ruotsalaiskenraali Axel von Löwen joka näin halusi pysäyttää Venäjän levittäytymisen Suomenlahden ympäristöön.

Ruotsin ja Venäjän välisen Hattujen sodan (1741–1743) aikana vielä pahasti keskeneräinen linnoitus joutui antautumaan venäläisille ja alue liitettiin Venäjään. Haminan linnoitusta korjattiin ja uudistettiin voimakkaasti kenraali Aleksandr Suvorovin johdolla 1790-luvulla samalla kun koko Kaakkois-Suomen raja linnoitettiin Ruotsia vastaan. Uudet linnoitukset ja vanhojen linnoitusten korjaukset noudattelivat kuitenkin vanhaa bastionilinnoitusperinnettä.

Suvorovin jälkeen Kaakkois-Suomen linnoittaminen jäi hollantilaissyntyisen kenraali Jan Peter van Suchtelenin vastuulle ja hän alkoikin 1800-luvun alussa soveltaa uutta linnoitusjärjestelmää, kaponierilinnoitusta. Vuonna 1803 alettiin Haminan linnoituksen Kirkkojärven puoleista varustusta rakentaa uudelleen uuden järjestelmän puitteissa. Keskelle rakennettiin suuri bastioni, ns. Keskusbastioni, jonka kummallekin puolelle vallihautaan tulivat kaponierit Puolikuu 1 ja 2. Keskusbastioniin ei enää tullut tykistöasemia, vaan puolustusta varten rakennettiin ainoastaan ampumatasanne ja rintamuuri kiväärimiehiä varten. Haminan vanhemmista bastioneista poiketen Keskusbastionin vallin sisään rakennettiin tiilestä muurattuja holveja, kasematteja, joita noin 240 metriä pitkään valliin mahtui 58 kappaletta jotka alunperin suunniteltiin pomminkestäviksi.. Nämä kasematit olivat lähinnä varastoholveja. Työt valmistuivat 1811. Lähes hehtaarin suuruiselle sisäpihalle, bastionipihalle, rakennettiin linnoituksen lakkauttamisen jälkeen 1800-luvun puolivälissä puisia talli- ja varastorakennuksia varuskunnan kuormastoa varten.

Keskusbastioni oli tämän jälkeen ensin Haminan venäläisen ja sitten suomalaisen varuskunnan varastoalueena aina 1970-luvulle asti, jolloin aloitettiin sen restaurointi. Pahoin sortuneet kasematit muurattiin suurelta osin uudelleen mihin työhön kului noin 600.000 uutta tiiltä. Samassa yhteydessä on vahvistettu bastionin kolme metriä syvässä olevat hirsiperustukset sekä muotoiltu uudelleen päällä oleva maavalli ja rintamuuri. Restaurointityön toteutti nyt jo lakkautettu Haminan työsiirtola.

Hamina Bastioni tapahtuma-areenaksi

Keskusbastionista käytetään nykyisin myös nimitystä Hamina Bastioni, mutta sitä ei tule sekoittaa linnoituksen itäosassa sijaitsevaan Haminan bastioniin ja on yksi linnoituksen osista.

1980-luvun lopulla keskusbastionin käyttösuunnitelmaa tehdessä päätettiin että historiallisesti merkittävä ja ainutlaatuinen alue tulee olla yleisölle avoin ja linnoituksen kulttuurihistoriallisia voimavaroja on hyödynnettävä. Niimpä vuonna 1998 keskusbastioniin rakennettiin Euroopan suurin kesäajan telttakatos (katettu ala 5500 m², kangasta 7500 m² ) joka toimii tapahtuma areenana useille eri tapahtumille mm. Merkittävää kansainvälistä huomiota saaneelle sotilasmusiikkitapahtuma Hamina Tattoolle.


Hamina Bastion dates back to the 1700s

The city of Hamina was a market place of Vehkalahti, which had been granted town privileges in 1653 as Vehkalahden Uusikaupunki (eng. Newtown of Vehkalahti). The city was destroyed in Great Northern War in 1712. The construction of the fortress began after the Treaty of Nystad in the early 1720s by Swedish General Axel von Löwen, who thus wanted to stop the spread of Russia in the Gulf of Finland.

During the Russo-Swedish War (1741-1743), the still unfinished fortress had to surrender to the Russians and the area was annexed to the Russia. Hamina´s fortress was heavily restored and reformed under command of General Aleksandr Suvorov in the 1790s, while the entire south-eastern border was fortified against Sweden. The new forts and old fortress repairs followed the old bastion fortress tradition.

After Suvorov, the fortress of South-East Finland was left to the Dutch-born General Jan Peter van Suchtelen responsibility. In the early 1800s he began to apply a new fortress system, the caponier fortress. In 1803 the armament of the Hamina´s Fortress near lake Kirkkojärvi were rebuilt within the framework of the new fortness system, a large bastion was built in the middle, so-called The central bastion, which both sides of the moat, came caponiers Puolikuu 1 and 2 (Half Moon 1 and 2). The centeral bastion no longer became an artillery stations, but only shooting platform and breast wall for riflemen were built for defence purposes. Unlike Hamina's older bastions, 58 casemates, in other words vaults built of bricks, were constructed inside the embankment of the Central Bastion which were about 240 meters long and originally designed to be bombproof. These casemates were mainly storage depots. The works were completed in 1811. After the decommissioning of the fortress, wooden stables and storage buildings for the horse-drawn service corps of the garrison were built in the inner yard of almost 1 hectare in the mid-19th century.

The central bastion was then warehouse of the Russian garrison in Hamina and then the Finnish garrison, until the 1970s, when the restoration of bastion was started. Badly collapsed casemates were largely re-build, and that work took about 600,000 new bricks. The log foundations of the bastion extending to a depth of 3 metres were reinforced in the same conjunction, and the overlying embankment and breast wall were re-shaped. The restoration work was carried out by the already closed Hamina labour colony which worked under the Konnunsuo Central Prison.

Hamina Bastion as an event arena

The central bastion is nowadays also called Hamina Bastion, but it should not be confused with the Hamina bastion in the eastern part of the fortress which is one of the fortification element.

In the late 1980s, when deciding on the central bastion plans, it was decided that a historically significant and unique area should be open to the public and the cultural-historical resources of the fort should be exploited. In 1998, the largest summer tents in Europe (covered area of 5500 m², fabric of 7500 m²) were built in the central bastion, which is an event arena for many events, for example. A remarkable international music event Hamina Tattoo.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

316 Logged Visits

Found it 294     Didn't find it 18     Write note 1     Publish Listing 1     Owner Maintenance 2     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 4 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.