Rochford takes its name from Rochefort, Old English for Ford of the Hunting Dogs. The River Roach which passes just south of the town was originally called the Walfleet (Creek of the foreigners). It was renamed the Roach in what is known as a back formation. This is where it is assumed that Rochford means ford over the River Roach.
Also confusingly within Rochfords borders lies London Southend Airport. Southend Airport was officially opened in 1935. In 1939 it was then requisitioned by the Air Ministry and renamed RAF Rochford to be used as a base for a fighter squadron, No.11 Group RAF. It remained RAF Rochford until 1946. Now it flies holiday makers to various European destinations.
Notable people who have lived in Rochford were
The other Boleyn girl, Mary Boleyn, who was, not only Wife of Sir William Stafford but mistress to Henry VIII
John Banyard founder of the chapel of Peculiar people, who practiced a lively form of worship bound by the literal interpretation of the King James Bible, banning both frivolity and medicine.
John Baynard is Buried in Saint Andrews church Rochford. Which is but a golf balls throw from Rochford hall, home of the Boleyn family.
This Geocache is part of the village sign series.
About Village Sign Caches
This cache belongs to the Village Sign Series, a series of caches based on ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up (generally on the village green!).
The signs can be made of different materials from fibreglass to wood, from forged steel to stone. They can depict anything from local industry to historical events. The tradition probably started in Norfolk or Suffolk and has now spread across most of the country so we thought we would base a series on them!
More information and statistics can be found at the Village Signs Website