About Doncaster York Road Station
Doncaster York Road station was built in the early 20th century, as part of the Hull and Barnsley and Great Central Joint Railway. It was to be a terminus at the end of a short branch from a junction on the main railway line, which is long gone and now forms part of the Trans-Pennine Trail.
The cache can be 'a distraction for the weary shopper', so is adjacent to busy areas - it has been placed in a lesser used location, but stealth may still be required.
The railway was opened in 1916, but despite having stations here, at Warmsworth, Thorpe-in-Balne, Sykehouse and Snaith & Pollington, scheduled passenger trains never ran along the line and it was used only for freight operations.
Rail enthusiast's excursions were the only passenger trains to operate on the line, the final one being in October 1968, by which time the station area had become part of the site of Booth’s Scrapyard.
The station itself was in fact not demolished until the late 1960s, although the railway line served the scrapyard for some time afterwards. The area was regenerated into the retail outlets which occupy the former station site today.
Please bring a pen or pencil, as the container contains only a log sheet.