SLOVAK WOODEN CHURCHES - Krajne Cierno
The wooden Greek Catholic church of St. Basil the Great, 1730, National cultural monument
The church in this village was built in 1730. It is dedicated to St. Basil the Great – one of the most important eastern saints. In the WWII, during the fights for control over the Dukla pass was the village together with the church severely damaged. It was renovated in 1947 - 1948.
The church stands on a stone foundation. It has three parts, three spaces, three towers and three crosses. The main tower is above the narthex. On the top of each tower is set a three-barred cross. In the tower hangs one bell, from 1876.
The iconostasis (National cultural monument – NKP) in the church is in four rows, with icons displayed on four levels. It was done at the time of the building of the church, in the 18th century, with some of the icons being from 17th century. In the first row are curiously five icons: Ascension of Our Lord, St. Nicholas, Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher and St. Basil the Great. Other curiosity is the presence of only two doors in the main row, royal doors and one deaconal. Only royal doors have leaves, adorned with six medallions (four Evangelists and to medallions of the Annunciation). The second row depicts feasts with the icon of the Last (Mystical) Supper in the middle. The apostolic row contains six icons with pairs of figures. In the middle is the icon of Christ the High Priest. The fourth row of prophets consists of six individual medallions with pairs of figures. The iconostas is finished on the top in the usual way, with crucified Christ and Theotokos with Holy Apostle John.
Precious is also the icon of the Deposition of the Christ from the Cross, on the holy altar in the sanctuary, dated to the 17th century. The last renovation of the iconostasis took place from 2000 - 2005.
The church was restored and renewed in stages from 2000 - 2005.
Wooden church in Krajné Čierno used to belong to 100 most threatened monuments of the world, and because of this fact, it was possible to obtain sufficient finances for its renovation, which took place in the years 2000 – 2004.