This cache has been placed as part of an initiative by the County of Peterborough, its member municipalities, the City of Peterborough and local First Nation communities to celebrate Canada 150+. There are 23 geocaches placed throughout the region showcasing local history.
The geocoin stock has now been exhausted. Please continue to enjoy exploring local history through other geocaches within the Canada 150+ collection.
GC Codes full list: GC74A7F - Payne Murders & First Execution, GC74A76 - Victoria Museum at "Inverlea", GC72PWE - Memengweshii, GC72PWP - Historic Curve Lake Village, GC72PX1 - Old Rail Road Stop, GC72PXA - Hiawatha Church, GC72VFW - Sucker Hunt at "Welbeck", GC74A7Q - Richard Birdsall, GC74A7V - John Deyell, GC74A7Y - Cavan Blazers & Paddy Maguire, GC72VG3 - Balm for her Wounded Heart, GC72VGA - Sedgwick Lime Kiln Park, GC72WDJ - Nepheline Syenite A Global Lustre, GC75D68 - Havelock Public School, GC72WDT - The Brush Factory, GC72VGJ - Sam Edgar Crypt, GC72VGQ - Nelson Brawl at the Keene Hotel, GC75D6H - Lang Grist Mill, GC72VGW - Catharine Parr Traill, GC72WDZ - The Pope Stallion, GC75D5Q - Adam & Eve Rocks, GC74A8B - Going to School on the Oregon Trail.
Before 1888 the children of school age living in the village attended classes at Old Havelock. In 1889 two classes were set up for children in the basement of the Presbyterian Church. During 1890 the Havelock Public School was built consisting of a wood frame building with two classrooms, offering a local opportunity for learning. The new school was designated to be S.S. #15 Belmont.
Prior to 1907, pupils successfully completing Sr, 4th and wishing to continue their education, had to attend classes at Norwood High School.
Within 20 years of its construction, the Havelock Public School was enlarged with the addition of the south wing and cement block siding added. A belfry was built to accommodate a school bell which, when pulled by a rope in one of the upper rooms, called children to school each day. There was a water pump on the south-east corner of the grounds. Accommodation was provided to establish classes for Continuation School for local successful "Entrance Classes."
In 1931, water flush toilets were installed in the school to replace the outhouses on the north side of the school.
In the mid-20th century, the Havelock Continuation School became part of the Norwood High School District where all student completing Grade VIII where bussed to a new, modern school. Years later, the Havelock High School building was sold and converted into apartments, which are now the Hilltop Apartments.
*Information taken from the Havelock Historical Society Walking Tour and Harold Hunter's book The Township of Havelock Belmont Methuen.