This cache is a 35mm film canister.
St Barbara’s Church
In the early Catholic Church St. Barbara was one of the 14 auxiliary saints also known as the 14 Holy Helpers, venerated for the supposed efficacy of their prayers on behalf of human necessities. Our church is one of only three Anglican churches in England dedicated to her. The other two are at Ashton-under-Hill in Worcestershire and at Haceby (now closed), in Lincolnshire.
St. Barbara is often depicted holding the palm branch of a martyr and a model of the tower with the three windows. Because of the fatal lightning stroke she is the patron saint of artillerymen and miners and because of the tower she is the patron saint of architects.
By 1922 Earlsdon at last qualified to become a parish in its own right and with the provision of a church hall the Institute St Barbara’s was becoming a centre of interest and activity. By 1925 the need for an even larger Church was obvious. No site in the centre of Earlsdon was available. but by 1930 a sufficient sum had been raised to consider the purchase of a site where both a new Church and the wooded “Institute” could be accommodated. Thanks to the gifts and donations ranging from hundreds of pounds from Sir Alfred Herbert , the machine tool manufacturer to a shilling or two from workers in the factories the target of £20.000 was reached.
In 1929 work commenced on the site.
Exactly a year later all was ready for the laying of the Foundation Stone in 1930. This ceremony took place on the 28th September, 1930, with Sir Alfred Herbert laying the stone and the whole project being blessed by the Bishop of Coventry, Dr Lisle Carr.
On Saturday September 26th 1931 the New Church of St Barbara Earlsdon was consecrated. The Old Church was converted into a parish Hall and was used mainly for Sunday School, Parish meetings and other activities when the Institute moved from Palmerston Rd.
During the War from 1939 to 1945 many of the church windows were moved to safety but the Church itself suffered no damage. The Sanctuary was enhanced in 1954 by raising the reredos by 5 feet and around the Sanctuary a carved and painted frieze relating to the 4 seasons carved and painted by Waiter Ritchie was incorporated in 1954.
In June 1971 A new Parish Hall was built at the west end of the Church to replace the old Wooden “Institute” and a new Vicarage was also built next to the Church.
The years since the New Church was built have seen many changes, The Church Hall continues to serve the wider Community as well as the Church activities, and the 60’s saw the growing importance of ecumenism and the growing relationship between the five churches in Earlsdon and Chapelfields.