The Haligus District #81 school building is the only one-room schoolhouse still standing in Grafton Township. The building was built in 1861. It remained in continuous use until it consolidated with the Crystal Lake School District in 1946.
From 1927 to 1946 much-loved teacher Marion Conley instructed students in all 8 grades in the one-room school. The building was heated with a wood and coal-burning furnace and lit with kerosene lamps. Today, one of the District 158 schools is named in honor of Marion Conley.
Several years after the Haligus School was closed, John and Florence Schaffeneger purchased the building at public auction. Florence was a cousin of Marion Conley. In December 2006 the property was again sold to a private owner who restored the building to its original state.
Information provided by the Huntley Area Public Library Local History Department.