The 10th august 2017 marks 10 years since the first SideTracked geocache was placed thereby starting the sidetracked series
Sidetracked 10 exclusive coin available for purchase at sidetracked events only:
An event outside Stirling's Engine Shed to celebrate. The Engine Shed building, used as a goods transfer shed, was built sometime between 1896 and 1913. The exact details of its construction were subject to an information blackout, and are still unknown, as it was part of an important military complex. The strategic base on the banks of the River Forth was a key resource for the army in the run up to and during both World Wars.
A programme of restoration and development, which began in 2013 and will conclude in July 2017, is in the process of revitalising and extending the original building. The Engine Shed, which will be run by Historic Environment Scotland and will open to the public six days a week, is set to be a transformative learning and tourism resource for Stirling – and Scotland.
The Engine Shed is a single storey building with sandstone walls and a slate roof, with a glazed clerestory window that runs the full length of the building. Steel roof trusses that span the width of the building support the roof.
Inside the historic building is a single large space, into which the lecture theatre for the building conservation centre has been installed as a pod – similar to the way in which large railway stations house shops and cafés. Originally the train track entered the shed, and elevated platforms ran along one or both sides. As part of the restoration, the floor has been taken down to the original level and the rails and platforms removed.