About Stirling Station
Stirling was first connected to the Scottish Central Railway in 1848. Lines were subsequently opened by the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway in 1853, and by the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway to Balloch Central three years later. Through services to/from the Callander and Oban Railway also served the station from 1870. The current station buildings were opened in 1916 following a major rebuild by the Caledonian Railway. They have undergone several refurbishments (with minor layout changes), the most recent change being the installation of lifts to enable better access to the footbridge linking Platform 2 with Platforms 3 to 8. The line to Balloch lost its passenger services in 1934 and closed as a through route in 1942, although the section from Stirling to Port of Menteith remained open for freight until 1959. The main line from Stirling to Dunfermline was not scheduled for closure under the Beeching Axe, but it was nevertheless closed in 1968. It has since been partly reopened as far as Alloa (see below). Oban services via the C&O line ended with the Beeching cuts in 1965, and the main terminus in Glasgow for services from Stirling changed from the former C.R. station at Buchanan Street to Queen Street the following year.
A Motorail service ran between London and Stirling until 1989.
The station building was constructed in 1915 by James Miller, and is listed by Historic Environment Scotland as a Category A listed building.
In 2008, the travel centre was refurbished to improve disabled access, including power-assisted entrance doors, a wheelchair-accessible counter, and improved customer information systems. In 2009, a shelter was erected on Platforms 9 and 10, and LED display boards replaced the CRT screens, including new displays for Platforms 9 and 10 and the bay Platforms 7 and 8. (Up to c.1988, a large flip-dot display was located above the main concourse; this was removed and the space filled in with a large "Welcome to Stirling Station" sign.)
From December 2009, automated announcements were provided, replacing the manual announcements made from the supervisor's office on Platform 3. In 2013, a new public address system was installed.
This is a simple multi that involves a short walk to the final. Just answer the questions below and replace the letter with numbers for your final coordinates:
N 56 07 ABC W 003 56.DEF
A= Number of Lions above the door
B= Number of letters in the flower to the right of lions plus 2
C= 2 numbers appear on the wall in stone. The second number minus 1 (ignore the 1's)
D= 3rd number in date
E = number on top of stone minus 2
F = number in letters (talking about trades) minus 2