The road near hear was named after Antigua, a colonial bishopric, Antigua in the West Indies. The section of the street south of Moorhouse Avenue was formerly named Windmill Road. Named after the flourmill erected in 1856 by William Derisley Wood (1824-1904). It was on the site of the Canterbury Brewery which was demolished following the earthquakes of 2010/2011.
One of the original streets of Christchurch named in 1850 by surveyors Captain Joseph Thomas (b. 1803?) and Edward Jollie (1825-1894). The names were taken from bishoprics listed in Burke's Peerage. First mentioned in The Lyttelton Times in 1852 when 1/4 acre sections are advertised for sale there. Windmill Road as an alternative name appears in an advertisement in the Star in 1868. William Feathery (1829?-1910) bought the windmill there in 1866 and moved it to Leithfield where it stood behind Leith's hotel. Officially re-named Antigua Street in 1909.
The reserve was a residential property as were those towards Hazeldean road.
A little further on there is is York Tong Place Named after the English equivalent of the developer’s father’s name.
The family had lived in Christchurch for some time and it is believed they owned the Pagoda Court Restaurant in Colombo Street. The cul-de-sac was created in the 4th stage of the subdivision in 1994. This removed a large number of early Addington home.
Disraeli Street is nearby, Disraeli was the Prime Minister of Great Britain 1868 and 1874-1880. One of the “poets and writers” streets of Sydenham, Addington and Waltham named by a committee of the Sydenham Borough Council on 19 January 1880. First appears in street directories in 1887. The section from Antigua to Montreal was constructed sometime after 1945.