Skip to content

"Keeping Up The Facade" - Providence National Bank Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

ArchiCachr: No longer living in the area

More
Hidden : 7/13/2017
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

“Keeping Up the Facade” - Providence National Bank

In the heart of downtown Providence, Rhode Island, a crumbling facade is all that remains of the landmark Providence National Bank building, which was razed in 2005 to make way for a residential tower that was never realized. For a full time-line of how this salvaged, architectural ruin came to be, you can read the chronicle of this structure in the history below.


This is an urban, micro cache (container top slides open) located at the aforementioned historical landmark. The area is on the perimeter of a parking lot, so please be mindful of moving vehicles and muggles. Depending on the time of day, metered parking may be available along the neighboring streets, as well as having the option of numerous garages and other lots within walking distance.

Bring your own pen and enjoy the search.

History

The record of Providence National Bank dates all the way back to October 1791, during the first term of George Washington’s presidency, when it got a state charter as Providence Bank and became Rhode Island’s first lender. (Initial investment: $250,000.) It became a federally chartered bank in 1865, a year after President Abraham Lincoln signed a law allowing banks to use “national” in their names; thus, Providence National Bank.

In 1926, Providence National acquired another bank, Merchants National. Then in 1929, on the eve of the Great Depression, the company moved into the building that once stood at 35 Weybosset Street and spanned across the now empty lot to Westminster Street. This colonial revival style of architecture, designed by Wallace E. Howe, featured murals of historic Providence buildings, paneling of Burma Teak, and a floor of Vermont Marble.

In 1950 the building was expanded, and a new federal revival style façade was added onto Weybosset St. This façade, and now last remaining architectural remnant, was really a backside addition to the bank. Soon after the façade was completed, Providence National acquired another big Rhode Island lender, Union Trust and changed its name to Providence Union National Bank and Trust. Finally, the company merged with a third bank, Industrial Trust, to create Industrial National Bank. All this time, though, the bank was still operating under the original 1791 charter.

During the early 2000s, new plans began to develop to demolish a series of buildings on and neighboring the lot at 35 Westminster in order to build one large skyscraper, which originally aimed to be the tallest in Rhode Island. The luxury condo tower, designed by Cambridge Seven Architects, was dubbed One Ten Westminster and had a projected cost of $105 million. The building was expected to bring “new blood” and economic vitality to the Financial District.

And so in 2005 over the course of six weeks, the Providence National Bank along with other structures including the First Federal Savings & Loan (Buck-A-Book) building were demolished between the backside of the Turks Head Building and the Arcade. The Weybosset façade was preserved with plans to incorporate it into the new building. Within months, the solid brass doors and other architectural remnants were stolen.

As with many development plans, the recession completely pulled the plug on this project in 2007. Delays in permitting and failed financing led the developers to abandon the project and eventually Providence, leaving the site with another parking lot in the heart of downtown.When the development plans fell through, the owner wanted to demolish the remaining façade in order to not pay for its maintenance. The contract on the building, however, prohibited this from happening. While the façade is still standing now, there are no plans for the property (as of yet) other than to park cars on this prime piece of real estate.

In November of 2011, then-Mayor Angel Taveras and city preservationists celebrated a plan to save the facade. The site had been derelict for years, and the brick and limestone facade was being held up by a steel structure that prohibited sidewalk access to many businesses. The new proposal, which came to fruition in 2012, moved the supporting structure behind the facade and utilized steel, angled beams. The facade was also weatherized and the masonry was restored to save what is left of this architectural landmark.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Oruvaq 1794. Vs lbh qba'g rng lre zrng, lbh pna'g unir nal chqqvat, Ubj pna lbh unir nal chqqvat vs lbh qba'g rng lre zrng!

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)