About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. Its a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Tulse Hill Station
Tulse Hill station was opened in 1868 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway on their line from London Bridge. In 1869, this was joined by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway's "Metropolitan Extension" line to Holborn Viaduct. The LB&SCR's through line to Streatham and Wimbledon opened in 1871.
The station originally had a bowstring-arched iron and glass roof covering all four platforms. and the brick retaining walls of this structure survive. However, it appears that the roof was demolished as a precautionary measure following the collapse of a similar one at Charing Cross in 1905, and individual platform canopies were then introduced. These had no proper foundations, and gradually subsided until the last of the Edwardian canopies were replaced in the 1990s. Some modernisation of the station, including a new covered entrance on the east side, took place under the operator Southern, and ticket gates (funded by the Transport Department) were installed in 2009.
The station can accommodate eight-car trains; the complex sections of track at each end of the station and a large bridge which cannot be moved mean it cannot be extended to accommodate longer ones.
Notes for the cacher
No hint for now - want to make it a bit more challenging for the first few to find it.