As Kirkcaldy entered into the 19th century, the arrival of the Kirkcaldy and District Railway, later to become part of the North British Railway, saw the town develop into the industrial heart of Fife—reviving the use of Kirkcaldy port, which had a severe setback during the mid–17th century. The harbour was catering for the growing trade of imports of flax, timber and hemp and exports of coal, salt and linen cloth, when a decision was made to build a new wet dock and pier from 1843–46. The subsequent demands for linoleum and coal led to a further extension from 1906–08 in the form of an inner dock.
By the middle of the 20th century, the production of both pottery and salt drew to a close. Around this time, also saw the development of the esplanade. The Sea wall/esplanade was constructed by way of an unemployment scheme which deployed the services of the unemployed to complete the work. A plaque on the esplanade dated 1922-1923 confirms this arrangement.
Take a moment to enjoy the view, the ships at anchor, the small boats working their pots or just indulge in good old fashioned fresh air.
The cache is located not far from the plaque and close to “the stairway to the sea” or as we like to call it, “Poseidon’s Staircase”, a somewhat unsettling sight at high tide.
FTF token inside cache
BYOP
Well done to the First to Find
1st - Ruddensloot
2nd -- Toghill
3rd --- goaliegirl38