About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About REALLY SideTracked - Horringford Station
Horringford railway station was an intermediate station situated on the edge of Horringford village on the line from Newport to Sandown incorporated by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway in 1868.The station was opened in 1875 and closed 81 years later in 1956. In its early years it was busy on market days when farmers took their cattle to Newport market, and in later years it carried the local sugar beet trade.
It was intended that the station should open in May 1872 but an inspection before that date was unsatisfactorily. Despite permission to open being refused a service to Sandown started on 28th May 1872. This was maintained by the contractor but ceased by 27th July 1872. The authorised service began on 1st February 1875.
A goods yard consisting of a single siding was located to the west of the station.
The station survives as a private house.