About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Whippingham Station
Although Whippingham Station was opened in 1875 the passing loop wasn't added until 1912. Despite its very isolated location the station was a grandiose building serving Osborne House (the Island home of Queen Victoria) and in its early years it was for private use only but eventually became a public station although initially trains only stopped by request. The down platform, which only had a simple wooden waiting shelter was considerably shortened by British Railways after nationalisation.
Because of it's isolate location passenger numbers were always low and post war they dwindled to only a handful a week. The station was closed on economic grounds in 1953 although the crossing loop remained in use until 1956.
Lbh zvtug jnag gb gel xvffvat orsber lbh tb ybbxvat.