How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Museum Campus is a 57-acre museum park that sits near Lake Michigan and surrounds three of the city's most notable museums, all dedicated to the natural sciences: the Adler Planetarium; the Shedd Aquarium; and the Field Museum of Natural History. It is also known for holding the Soldier Field football stadium and the Lakeside Center of the McCormick Place.
The campus opened on June 4, 1998, when the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive were moved west of Soldier Field following the route of the expressway's southbound lanes. By removing the roadway which bisected the area, Museum Campus was created into a green space for the enjoyment of both residents and tourists.
Upon arriving at this park you will find it to be a scenic pedestrian-friendly area. The grounds are landscaped with greenery and flora as well as jogging paths and walkways. In addition to the architecture; the park is spotted with artwork, statues, fountains, and a variety of Chicago food vendors.
We chose this location for or virtual reward as our family visits all of the above locations annually. Whether we are checking out a new exhibit at one of the museums, attending a football game at Soldier Field, or completing packet pick up for the Chicago Marathon at the McCormick Center.. we always seem to find our way back to this park. In fact, we are having lunch at the aquarium while writing this!
- Adler Planetarium is a public museum dedicated to the study of astronomy and astrophysics. It was founded in 1930 by Chicago business leader Max Adler. It is located on the northeast tip of Northerly Island at the shore of Lake Michigan. The Adler is America's first planetarium.
- Field Museum of Natural History, also known as The Field Museum, is a natural history museum in Chicago, and is one of the largest such museums in the world. The museum maintains its status as a premier natural history museum through the size and quality of its educational and scientific programs, as well as due to its extensive scientific specimen and artifact collections. The diverse, high quality permanent exhibitions, which attract up to two million visitors annually, range from the earliest fossils to past and current cultures from around the world to interactive programming demonstrating today's urgent conservation needs.
- McCormick Place is the largest convention center in North America. It consists of four interconnected buildings sited on and near the shore of Lake Michigan. McCormick Place hosts numerous trade shows and meetings. The largest regular events are the Chicago Auto Show each February, the International Home and Housewares Show each March and the National Restaurant Association Annual Show each May.
- Shedd Aquarium (formally the John G. Shedd Aquarium) is an indoor public aquarium in Chicago, Illinois in the United States that opened on May 30, 1930. The aquarium contains 32,000 animals, and was for some time the largest indoor aquarium in the world with 5,000,000 US gallons of water. Shedd Aquarium was the first inland aquarium with a permanent saltwater fish collection.
- Soldier Field is an American football stadium and live concert venue. It opened in 1924 and is the home field of the Chicago Bears (NFL), who moved there in 1971
- The Huntington Bank Pavilion is an outdoor amphitheater located on the man-made peninsula Northerly Island. The venue is a temporary structure, with the summer concert season running from June until September or October. The amphitheater opened in June 2005.
Please complete one of the following tasks to qualify for the smiley. All visits must take place after the posted date of the cache, and logs who fail to meet the requirements will be deleted. While not required.. we would really love to hear about your day, or something you found educational/learned while visiting the campus!
Post a picture of yourself holding your GPS/phone or giving a thumbs up, at ONE of the 6 above referenced landmarks.
- The landmark must be clearly visible in the background.
- Your face does not need to be in the photo
- No need to message me if choosing this option
Make your way to the posted coordinates where you will find 10 information boards, and one of the best views of the city skyline. Message me the answers to the following 2 questions:
- What is the name of the building labeled as #5?, and how many years did Ward battle to maintain unobstructed views of Lake Michigan?
- Please do not include your answers in your log.
Virtual Reward - 2017/2018 This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between August 24, 2017 and August 24, 2018. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards on the Geocaching Blog.
Vs lbh rawbl gur ybpngvba.. jr nccerpvngr gur pbafvqrengvba bs n Snibevgr Cbvag!