About Haverthwaite Station
The Lakeside and Haverthwaite railway runs north for 5.1 km (3.5 miles) from Haverthwaite Station, via Newby Bridge Halt, to Lakeside, at the southern end of Windermere. It is a branch of the former Furness Railway and started life in 1869 as a freight line, carrying items such as coal for the Windermere steamers, iron ore for the Backbarrow Iron Works (currently being restored at the side of the line), and ultramarine powder from the ‘dolly blue’ factory at Backbarrow (now the site of the Whitewater Hotel). By around 1900, there was also a thriving passenger service taking visitors to and from the steamers on Windermere. As cars became more popular in the 1930s, the passenger service declined, though the line continued to be busy with freight. In 1965, the line closed to passenger traffic, and in 1967 when the Backbarrow Iron Works closed, to freight as well. Attempts to save the whole of the Furness branch line from Ulverston failed but finally in 1970, the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway Company Limited was established and the current stretch of line was reopened as a preserved steam railway to passengers in 1973, connecting with the Windermere Lake cruises to Bowness and Ambleside. There are currently 7 steam and 8 diesel locomotives, though not all are in service.
Information taken from
This cache is at the very corner of the station car park. It is most easily accessible from the footpath beside the road, using the alternative parking waypoint. It is not in any walls and no stones need to be moved, or even touched, when looking for this cache. Please just unscrew the top and tip out the log book. BYOP.